Tuesday, March 20, 2007

When you read stuff like this epiphenomenalism doesn't sound so crazy


I was under the impression that epiphenomenalism was about as sound a scientific theory as judging one's character by the lumps on your head.

I think I am wrong. Well actually I am a little relieved. Secretly I have always been a bit of an "Epi" fan.


An article from The BPS research Digest details how "psychologists in Italy have reported the real-life case of AD, a 65-year-old whose identity appears dependent on the environment he is in.


He started behaving this way after cardiac arrest caused damage to the fronto-temporal region of his brain.When with doctors, AD assumes the role of a doctor; when with psychologists he says he is a psychologist; at the solicitors he claims to be a solicitor. AD doesn't just make these claims, he actually plays the roles and provides plausible stories for how he came to be in these roles."


I guess the point I am making here is that you are about as conscious as Ashlee Simpson, only she's cuter.


No comments: