Monday, September 27, 2004

Greatest Hits-still on leave so enjoy my recollection

I have worked in a number of libraries over the years (ok two), but the one thing you could say about most of the patrons was that they loved to read.

Perhaps my most bizarre memory from my current position came from a patron who "drove all the way here so I would not have to read!"

I have to say that one came as a shock to even this cynical and jaded government employee. Nothing turns off a law library patron faster than telling them you have a book to show them on that subject.

"I have to look this up? You don't know the answer? Well, what do you do then?" So then I will point to the exact paragraph they need and they will then ask me to interpret it for them.

After getting my interpetation they ask "Well, what do I do now?"
My advice is that medical science has yet to advance to the stage where we can simply and safely provide you with a brain transplant, so go hire a lawyer!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

"What do I do know?" What the hell does that mean? You work in a library?????

Romius T. said...

I work in a complex that has a self help center , library and more!
What do I know? I think I was refering to a customer needing an interpetation of the law ( nI am not allowed to do that)