Monday, September 13, 2004

A Dismal Morality

Eric Fromm wrote that "humans are the only animals whose existence itself poses a problem." In essence humans are born into an "existential crisis" that each individual as well as the whole of humanity are destined to struggle against.

My only disagreement with Mr. Fromm's position, is that I believe he overstates his case. Not every human will confront his/her transcendental status within nature. One of my favorite quotes is from Henry David Thoreau, he believed that " the mass of men live lives of quiet desperation," but current research in the psychological field of happiness indicates Henry David Thoreau's diagnosis of a melancholic man is unwarranted.

In our own post-modern times, those " lucky few" who confront their existential crisis will be handed two ready made answers. The first is adapatation, the second is authenticity.

I would like to suggest that both are immoral responses given our socio-historical era. Later I will provide what I believe to be the only solution to the ethical quandary of post modernity. I believe it lies in a Kierkegaardian " leap into suffering."

First, allow me to tackle adaptationas a suggestive answer to man's problem of existence. I know that most of you will be happy to join me in berating such simple minded notions as: obey, consume, and submit.

Certainly unique individuals, such as we, would never kowtow to the peer pressure of legitimacy granted by name brands. Nor are we so easily seduced by the myriad pleasures offered up by the culture-industry. Our consumption won't be limited within the banal coffers of corporate conformity. Our cheerie band will not hold true the bland individuality of tribal tattoos, designer coffees and such. [ author note: I will add to this particular post by editing and replacing as not to bore those not interested by adding new entries. Also I will maintain within comments any footnotes etc]

1 comment:

Romius T. said...

At some point simplification ,(or oversimplification) becomes misleading. My characterization of E. Fromm's position is such an instance. His position is actually far more nuanced, informed etc. See pages 30-44 from ESCAPE FROM FREEDOM. I will post a link to some of the studies I have referred to about happiness later.