Wednesday, May 20, 2020

Day 4 of the Quarantined Vacation and nothing goes wrong

If you think it's hard to write every single day when nothing happens to you, and you base your blog on your real life experiences, then you would be correct.  So the thing is you just sit down and start typing and eventually something will come out.  It probably won't win any Nobel prizes and it will leave your old fans wondering why they even come back here.  They remember a time when this blog was funny and controversial. But as one a dear friend of mine has said, "The new you is grown up and world weary.  You aren't relying on sophomoric humor and easy racism." 

No today you won't get jokes about step-sister necrophilia.  Even though those jokes are still funny to me.

No.  Today I feel a kind of responsibility that goes beyond just t appealing to the kind of people I can shock.  Have I gone soft??  Maybe. Maybe I'm just not funny anymore. 

Well to answer that I'll invite you over to my house and you can listen in to me and my roommate.  When we get started together we seem to egg the other on until we get to a point that if somebody ever taped the conversations we had we'd probably both get arrested and every single decent human being who likes us would hate us and and then disown us.  Frankly, I couldn't be angry at them for doing it.  In fact if I ever heard the conversations I've had with this man from another person I would instantly hate those people too.  

And that got me thinking.  Maybe I am not really being fair to other people when I write something that could be taken the wrong way (or even the right way!)  Should I really make fun of the poor, if I count myself as an advocate? You know before I would say unequivocally "YES."  But today I hesitate before I say some glib thing online.  I have deleted a few comments or left them in draft form.  Take Twitter.  I used to love trolling.  Now I am not so sure.  Am I maturing?  Is that a good thing?  Because frankly, some people need a good troll in their lives.  Right Karen?  Though at this point I've almost started feeling sorry for Karen.  

Compassion is the thing more people need nowadays and it seems like it is always something that's in short supply.  Kinda like toilet paper in the apocalypse, am I right? OK.  Sorry for that joke.

So far I'd say my analysis is at least partially true.  That's because I might just be a wimp, not wanting to put myself out there anymore because trying is hard stuff. Talking about Suicide ain't easy.  Talking about how angry some of us are ain't easy.  You wanna get it right.  You'd like to add to the conversation.  You wanna bring something someone else hasn't. I mean you do if you have any integrity at all.  I'd like to think my writing had some integrity.  But if I don't that's okay too.  I never promised "them" that much here. Haven't you learned one thing by now? Don't put your faith in me.  Not here. Don't make that bet.  You're gonna lose it all if you believe in me. 

I know what you are thinking, "Maybe he can prove us all wrong."  But you and I learned that lesson long time ago.  They aren't wrong. 

We are.

No comments: