Thursday, February 24, 2005

My first week as a TEMP with Jan Brewer!

I am not sure how this was done, but the agency that I work for, got me a gig with my state government. I figured I would be bared from any work with any agency, but not so.

I also figured I would need to get a background check again. Not. Fingerprinted? No way, Jose

My interview at the agency consisted of probing questions like :

  • "What kind of things are you in to?
    "What do you want to do?"
Answer: "Um, I guess internet surfing isn't a real paid position is it?" I just kept nodding off and saying " Whatever, I don't care."

Though I must admit the agency hit the mark with this job. It's the sorta thing I am just clerically enabled enough to do.There is no massive data entry to do, just reviewing paperwork and some customer service over the phone.

I am in charge of a whole division which means that the entire division consists of just me. I am constantly told that no one can tell me what to do, and I shouldn't have to stuff envelopes.

Now why you would give a "Temp" an entire division which was then described to me as "high profile" is a matter only someone who has been a supervisor or an upper could answer.

Working for this agency has been quite a change for me. I am no longer scanned and run through a metal detector just to get in my office. On the other hand neither are the public.


Here is a quick rundown of my first day:

  • 8 am to 930 introductions all around
  • 930 to 1120 review articles on my job
  • lunch

    12 30 to 3 pretending to work followed by:

    6 hours of envelope stuffing the next day.

I finally feel like a temp. The universal job requirement for being a temporary worker is the ability to stuff envelopes. I can do this quite well. I witnessed faces of full of mock astonishment when they saw the piles of envelopes I had stuffed!!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Garrick here...

Ask Jan Brewer why the financial reports of legislative candidates suddenly disappeared off the SOS's web site during the last election. That'll have you back in the bread lines real fast.

Romius T. said...

That lil comment for sure got me there, you ready for me to move in with you? i am sure Liz would love that!!!

Anonymous said...

I hope you didn't have to write anything out that required spelling. weak?